Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Twelve Months of Loving: Have Fun Together!

Well, February is almost over and I have not blogged at all about my journey to love my husband better this year. The fun thing about making my husband my "word" for the year, is that I am constantly thinking about how I am keeping him a priority. This month, with our anniversary kicking us off in the right direction, the focus in our marriage has really been on having fun and enjoying each other.

Throwback pic: Trying on awkward hats. 
Sometimes, in the midst of work, chores, little ones, and just plain life, we can lose focus on enjoying each other's company and laughing together. One of my favorite things to do with my man is to laugh with him. And, coincidentally, one of his favorite things to do is to make me laugh. When I take the time to focus on him, engage in conversation with him, and not multitask every time I am with him, it renews my sense of awe at how lucky I am to be married to this man and it also rejuvenates me to just have fun.

Little ways we have had fun together this month:
  1. Went on a date...perused a bookstore and had dinner together at a fun restaurant neither of us had tried.
  2. Played card games together during a weekend nap time when the little one was down and we were both home.
  3. Played "The Question Game" (I had a jar of questions I wrote out and we took them out one by one and talked about how we might respond to each.)
  4. Instant messaged each other flirty messages on Facebook.
  5. Watched a Tim Hawkins stand-up comedy video we both enjoy. 
  6. Smiled at each other and laughed at each other's jokes. 
  7. Spent time talking about life, dreams, and rambling thoughts. (I am learning to take advantage of the times my husband wants to engage in conversation, and if at all possible I avoid multitasking when we do, so that I can really enjoy the connection.)
  8. Played together with our little one. It is easy to use the time our baby girl is playing with daddy to get things done, but sometimes it is more important for me to join in and spend "family time" together...laughing with him at her antics and enjoying the parenting experience together.
  9. Kept up goofy habits. My husband and I will do silly things like swipe each other with our toothbrushes when we are brushing our teeth or smack each other on the rear as we walk by. They aren't daily, but silly ways to flirt and acknowledge one another's presence bring a smile.
  10. Tease (in fun). Both my husband and I enjoy kind-hearted sarcasm, and we know how not to take it too far with each other. A little ribbing from him over the fact that my anniversary card to him was two-weeks late made me laugh and finding a Valentine's card in the garage that he never gave me from last year gave me ammunition to rib him right back.
Family day at the dunes!
So there you have it. My February focus has been on simply having fun together. When I make it a point to connect with my husband I almost always feel closer to him. It is so easy to focus on kids and work...but when we take the time to remember why we married our man and learn to laugh with him again, we can take a good marriage to great!
 



This week I am linking up with Messy Marriage and Marriage Mondays.

1 comment:

  1. :-) I love hearing about what you do to keep your marriage alive! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!