Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My Word for 2014...Hubs (Learning to Love my Husband Well)

I was inspired by author and blogger Sarah Mae to make my husband a priority in 2014. I am sure I am not alone in the mama (or even wife) category of women who too often prioritize a zillion and seven things above my man. I know in the back of my mind that he needs to feel like he's important to me, but with a little one to tend and a mounting list of things to accomplish before the sun goes down I often push him to the side thinking, "He's a big boy, he can take care of himself."

The truth is, though, I want him to feel like I am a vital part of his life. I want him to think, "How could I do this thing called life without her?" I want to be the happy thought in the midst of his stressful and busy day. And for this to be, I need to bump him up to a higher priority in my heart and mind and life.

I'd been pondering what this might look like and, wouldn't you know it, God gave me opportunity to practice this challenge right as I was starting to blog! I had just settled in, thoughts in a row, ready to start talking about making my husband a priority and all that and then..."Honey, would you mind...". I wish I could tell you that I joyfully served my man as I had just been touting I was going to be doing. The truth, however, is that I paused and gave an inward sigh as I thought about how I didn't want to do so-and-so I wanted to blog! (Of course, if Jesus had been making eye contact with me at that moment I think he would have been giving me the "Seriously?" look due to my selfish heart and childlike attitude.) Thankfully a nudge from the Holy Spirit kicked my butt in gear and I got up and served my husband like I was planning on doing...that time.

It is not easy, loving our husbands well. Almost five years ago now I said "I do" with a full heart and schoolgirl giddiness--ready to live out a lifetime of loving my husband. But somewhere between tossing the bouquet and opening the door to our first home together things got jumbled. Life is messy and happily ever after takes getting your hands dirty and your heart bruised. It is beautiful though, this journey to happy ever after. It is beautiful when we let it be beautiful. When we stop adding to our wobbling tower of unmet expectations and shattered hopes. When our only goal is to love, I think we give our marriage room to breathe. And grow. And flourish.

So this year, month by month, I am going to practice love. And hopefully, through focusing on different aspects of what loving looks like each month, I will not only bless my spouse, but maybe I will look a little bit more like Jesus too. If you want to join me in the challenge, leave a comment and I will certainly be praying for you and yours as we encourage one another along the way!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!